Wednesday 13 February 2013

Temple of Apollo, Antalya.



Card no 396 – Ibrahim (postcrossing)
The 2nd Century Temple of Apollo, Antalya, Turkey
Country: Turkey
Place: Istanbul  
Received: 12th February 2013
Distance: 1,703 miles
Travelled for: 21 days

The ruins of the Ionic Temple of Apollo with its columns pointing up into the sky and its legend of the romance between the sun god Apollo and Daphne is near to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Antalya.  Antalya WHS was the capital of Lycia and illustrates the blending of Lycian traditions and Hellenic influence, especially in its funerary art.  
The original temple and home of an oracle was destroyed during the Persian Wars and the one we see today was rebuilt following the victory of Alexander the Great over the Persians.  

This is my first card from Turkey (though not my first one of Turkey!), taking the number of countries I have received cards from to 40. 

1 comment:

  1. Since I was a child, I have been interested in Greek myths which is a little bite similar to Japanese one. But in Japanese myths the sun is Sun Goddess, the supreme deity in Shintoism(indigenous religion in Japan).
    The columns reaching straight up into the sky are so beautiful.
    keiko

    ReplyDelete

Welcome. I love it when visitors comment - even if it's only to say "Hi, I've been here!"