Saturday 15 October 2016

Children by Elisabeth Bem

I've joined Maria's Linky of 'Postcards for The Weekend' at Connections to the World - an invitation to all postcard lovers to share their cards - this week's theme is children.   All postcard bloggers are invited to join.

Card no 1932 - from Natalia in Russia.


Elisaveta Merkuryevna Bem or Boehm or Böhm (1843–1914) was a Russian painter; a popular designer of postcards.

She was born in Saint Petersburg to a noble Russian family that had a Tartar origin.  At the age of 14 she entered the School of Painting at the Society for Promotion of Artists . In 1865 she graduated from the school with the Large Silver Medal.   She married a prominent Russian-Hungarian violinist Ludwig Boehm, professor of the Saint Petersburg Conservatory.  Elisabeth painted many watercolors, illustrated children books of the Folk Library series. For her silhouettes, etchings and works of glass she received medals at the World Fairs in Chicago of 1893, Paris of 1900, Munich of 1902 and Milan of 1906 (gold medal).   She is mostly known as one of the most prominent Russian creators of postcards. She painted more than 350 postcards creating a recognisable style that depicts children's faces and silhouettes.

  Thanks Maria for hosting this Linky.

7 comments:

  1. Cute little faces♥...although she painted so many postcards this is the first one I ever seen from this artist, really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazing whenever emotions are captured in artwork! These two children have very emotive faces. Thanks for sharing this card John!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a neat work. I don't know why it reminds me of Christmas postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to read about a female artist, so thank you for that. There is something about the card that I like, although I am not sure what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of postcards, I'd never heard of her but I like that period of Russian art when they were painting the everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card, I like the soft colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi John, What a wonderful old postcard and a perfect contribution to Postcards for the Weekend. Your post has introduced me to Elisabeth Bem. I appreciate learning about someone who has had an important role in postcard history. Thank you for your comment on my blog, “Gosh! – What a full post! Love the old postcards.” I especially appreciated your mention of a full post. From my start in the blogosphere in 2011 I have been conflicted about whether to have several blogs and let each be a specialization, such as postcards, or one blog with a lot of variety. So far, I’ve gone with just one blog and post anything interesting to me (and hope others find it the same). For a while I tried to post almost daily and that allowed me to be more specific with a single post. Recently, one post every few days seems more comfortable. The linky parties have certain time limits and that complicates things somewhat for my style of blogging. Anyway, I just thought I would explain things on this end. I’m your newest follower and will be looking forward to more of your postcards!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome. I love it when visitors comment - even if it's only to say "Hi, I've been here!"